Monday, June 4, 2007

Subaru TS 2.5L Engine


Subaru TS 2.5L Engine stage 2


Like the old saying, there is no replacement for displacement. Subaru is spoilt by choices and here's one which is has a 2.5L powerplant. Running on emanage blue unit. I'll write one on a 1.6 Turbo charged TS soon :) After he put in the wrx injectors and go for tuning.
If you're looking for a very packed low end, try this setup. A simple dropping in of a block without any other major mods produces 130~140 bhp on wheels for this ride. Extremely value for money I must say. This ride depends heavily on a good tune to prevent the engine from pinging during normal driving. As the intake manifold for this ride is still a 1.6 manifold, and with a crappy intake piping, the mid range is quite affected negatively. Intake system of any car is extremely important and when it reaches the later stages of modification, the quality of the intake will be more pronounced. Good or bad more obvious.
Before tuning this ride, the 3000~4000 rpm during normal driving is pinging away. And there is abosolutely no way to accelerate without hearing the engine knocking sound every time you try to overtake that taxi to get to the next ECP exit. To make matters worse, this is a Automatic transmission car and each time the gear shifts, the knocking takes place. Just imagine driving around during chinese new year sounding like a tractor!
Ok, I fixed those pinging problems. The FC is quite lousy at 7.5 km/L. Mainly due to crappy intakes, restrictive 1.6 intake manifold and his automatic transmission's torque convertor. Owner decided against the 2.5L (bigger) intake manifold as it makes his ride looks modified and he wish to remain discrete about it. Hiaz...
Owner is also very careful as he test drove his car for 2 months before paying up his tuning fees. For a moment I thought I won't be paid my dues but received a call yesterday that the payment was made to the workshop and I can collect it anytime, I like... cool! He kept his word, what was I thinking about these 2 months... hahaha...So, proven, no relearn, tuning is consistent!Anyway, my word to him is that if I didnt fix the problem, I will not take a cent from him. And his fears of the ECU relearning, I gave him my word that I am able to prevent it from relearning... Maybe that explains the 2 months of waiting? Dunno la,... ai yoh. Maybe because I am the second tuner he has consulted? the first one sound more convincing than me? hahaha...
Verdict:
OK, overall this 2.5L lower block Subaru TS packs a head slamming low end torque which no other setup can match. It has the punching effect when you take off from the traffic light. If this car uses racing clutch, lauching a AWD TS is easily done with gusto. Downside, FC is bad esp. when its on an Auto car and the high end lacks the luster of a turbo charged car. Owner is happy as it makes his day-to-day drive easier. Of course la, 2.5L mah!! Hopefully he mod up his intake manifold, its gonna be wild!

No comments: